How long has it been?

Friday, May 27, 2011

Elizabeth A.K.A. Eli, the Hoochie

Elizabeth or Eli (the Mexican version of Ellie) as we usually call her (or The Hoochie as she is sometimes known), is one of my best friends. She and I met in the summer of 2006. We were one of the 99's. The 99's was a group of nursing students that took a course (NUR199) over the summer before starting the second year of nursing school. For many of us, it was because we hadn't quite made it through and were rejoining nursing school.

We became good friends. She was a bit quiet and shy at first. But once she warmed up she was hilarious. She's still like that. We tease each other all the time. Usually she gets me pretty good. Well, we were study buddies. Often we'd be at the Starbucks at the Streets of Woodfield studying/watching people. Or we'd hang out at my house and my dad would try to help us study. And then there were the naps. Oh the nice cozy naps. Anyway, we were together a lot. We cried together; we celebrated together. She was #1 and I was #2, a story she can tell you if she really wants. It's a different kind of bond people have when they're in nursing school. You do things together that just aren't really normal. For example, wiping butts, wound care, bed baths, etc. She was a regular at my house. I'm pretty sure that Dad thought of her as his other daughter. He could always make her laugh. When I called to tell her the awful news of his death she was at a party. I felt terrible for ruining her party. I could hear the laughter and fun in the background. She came to the hospital anyway. She was there, holding our hands and remembering his life with us.

So when Kevin asked me to marry him (exactly one year ago today), I of course had to call her and tell her the news. When I got back from our vacation to Memphis, I made a date to hang out with her. We stopped at the Starbucks near her house and we got coffee. She was so excited about the recent engagement. And I thought she was going to have a heart attack when I asked her to be a bridesmaid. She accepted after a moment of shock.

I can think of no better person to have with me when I marry Kevin. She's been through so much with me. She was the girl I ran to after my dates with Kevin to talk about what happened. She was with me the night I finally decided to stop dodging Kevin and invited him out to my brother's birthday party. Let's suffice it to say she was a very good and caring friend that night. I still remember her telling me she thought he was weird. And she's right, he is. But I like it. Over time, they got to know each other better. Now I can say with confidence that they are friends as well. 

About a week ago, Eli called me to break some news. There's a family emergency in Mexico. There are some matters that need to be handled and she will be unable to be in the wedding. She is very upset by this. She's tried everything within her power to change the time around when she needs to be in Mexico but there's nothing she can do. Kevin and I are not angry or upset with her. We firmly believe that family comes first. Though we would love for her to be in the wedding, we understand these matters take precedence. After talking it over, we have decided that we will not be asking another person to join the wedding party. Eli is our bridesmaid even if she can't be there they day of the wedding. She's helped us so much with planning and ideas. We could never replace her. And I don't want to. Though she won't be with us, we know she'll be thinking of us. We've asked her to still be a part of everything, all the things bridesmaids do. Without her, I don't know if Kevin and I would even have gotten this far together. She's a great friend. We love her dearly!

We truly hope the family matters in Mexico go smoothly and for the best. We hope she returns safely and quickly. And when she gets back, we'll probably have a party so she can wear that oh-so-sexy dress she bought for the wedding!

Thank you, Eli! We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment