How long has it been?

Sunday, July 10, 2011

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

And that my friends and loved ones is the kind of joke Kevin tells. You'll agree if he has ever tried to tell the Ford truck joke... Yikes!

Anyway, time is marching on, as it always does. I believe the little count down clock says 54 days. Less than two months. Does anyone else think that's just crazy? I mean, it was just yesterday that he asked me to marry him. I guess it was really just over a year ago, but it feels like yesterday. As my brother will tell you, I'm not the best at time. He mentioned the other day his ten year high school reunion is coming up. It didn't make sense to me because I had my ten year reunion last year. And my brother is four years younger than me. Then he ever so gently reminded me that my reunion was in 2008. And by "gently" I mean he smacked me in the forehead and basically called me old. Nice.

Back to wedding business. There have been some bumps in the road. But we're taking them in stride. All the vendors seem to be ready and have answered all our questions as they come up. Kevin and I are going to be working on our vows soon. We've been thinking about them but we'll start working with the Reverend on them. Time for little details now. Like the wedding favors and stuff.

One of the bumps is that we're still waiting for our invitations to arrive. Normally, I'm not a nail biter. I leave that to Kevin (who will be getting a manicure before the wedding if he likes it or not!). But these days I barely have any nails. I've been assured that she will mail them out this week with a rush delivery. The envelopes she said that were mailed to her were crushed and she had to reorder them. I politely but sternly explained my invitations were supposed to have been mailed to my guests 2 weeks ago. So, I'm a bit peeved.

Everything else is going well. I had my final gown fitting on Friday. I was really nervous and freaking out. All in all the day turned out well but started out really awful - which I will get into soon. My cousin and bridesmaid, Sara, joined me at the bridal shop for the fitting. She's finally back from Spain and I can't believe how tan she is. She looks great! She was helping me into these torture devices we call under garments when there was a knock at the "door" which is really a curtain. Karen, my soon-to-be sister-in-law poked her head in. I was so pleasantly surprised! I was thrilled! She helped me into those torture devices. She and Sara used great team work to figure out how to properly secure me in my gown. And then I stepped out of the curtain to that little pedestal to give them room and see how it looked. Suddenly, my mom showed up! I almost cried. I went from being unsure that anyone would be there with me to having all these important people there. I felt so loved and supported! My mom and Karen had never seen the gown in person. They were really happy. I was happy. But I was feeling self-conscious. I've been battling this red patchy rash all over my body. It's very prominent on my arms and legs. Well, luckily my legs are hidden away. But some of the rash on my arms shows. I wanted something to cover it up just in case. The staff there helped us figure out what we were looking for and had the perfect solution. I felt so much more at ease. Just before we left a woman poked her head out of a  dressing room. I thought she was looking for one of the seamstresses. She looked at me and told me how beautiful I looked and that she understands why I'm self-conscious but I shouldn't be because I looked beautiful. And I tried not to cry. My family told me I looked great which means a lot but to hear it from a stranger, it just makes it a little more true somehow. I mean, your family loves you no matter what and they see the person you are so you're beautiful to them anyway. So that ended on a positive note.

One of the other little bumps was the bridal shower invites. There was a typo for my mom's phone number. Kind of an issue. But we managed to take care of that. I collected as many phone numbers as I could and sent messages to the people I could about the error. I think almost everyone has been contacted now. Disaster averted.

The honeymoon plans have been set in motion. This is so much more less stress which is great for me! I'm pretty sure the stress of everything is what's kind set this rash on me. Kevin and I booked our trip to the West Coast. We leave for San Diego on September 6th. We return from Seattle on September 22nd. It's going to be great! I can't wait. We're not planning every moment of every day. We are spending some time in San Diego to see the sites. Then we have a few spots here and there we want to see but nothing else set in stone. I talked to a friend that's from California. She just took her family out there for a vacation and they had a few plans scheduled but nothing else strictly set. She said it was the best vacation they've had. That's what we want, too. I think we're going to make a stop at Disneyland. Kevin's never been to any of the Disney parks. I've never been to Disneyland so this will be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment