How long has it been?

Thursday, November 24, 2011

"Only choose in marriage a woman whom you would choose as a friend if she were a man." - Joseph Joubert

Wise words. I chose that quote with Kevin in mind. He is my best friend. And I am his.

It's been quite a while since the last post. The wedding was wonderful. Not perfect, but wonderful. The honeymoon was amazing. And now we're trying to settle into our life as a married couple.

The most common question we've been hearing is, "How's married life?" Well, it isn't too different from what we had. It is different, just not the huge adjustment some face when they first move in together. We're dealing with combining our things like health insurance, credit cards, bank accounts, etc. It's different. When we opened our joint bank account I had to sign some of the checks we had received from our loving family and friends. The trick was signing my new name. That was difficult. I really had to concentrate. At one point the banker and Kevin distracted me with some witty comment as I was signing and three signatures later I noticed I had reverted back to my maiden name. It's very strange.

When I was younger, I always wanted to marry Superman. Or a man with a last name higher in the alphabet. That way, I wouldn't always be last. As I grew up, I realized Superman wasn't going to marry me. And really, who would want to marry him? He's married to his work. I stuck with the idea of marrying a man higher in the alphabet. Some women marry for money. I married for the alphabetical status!

Anyway, back to the wedding. It was great! We thank each of you that were able to make it. We missed those of you that could not be with us. We're working with the photographer now on getting our photos back. There are some posted on Facebook. If you have any photos we'd love to see them. What I'm really curious about are the stories. If you were there, what do you remember most? What was the funniest thing that happened at your table that night? What song did you just have to dance to when it was played? I love that stuff. We wanted to celebrate and have the party of the year. This was our time to share with our family and friends the joy and love we have with each other. I think we did well.

For those that were not at the wedding I want to share a page from our ceremony program. The last page, the tab reads, "With Love."

To our parents, thank you for your unconditional love and unwavering support in this great adventure. There is no doubt we have been witnesses to true and everlasting love. That kind of love has a strong impression on all those near. We are blessed to have lived in homes filled with such a a powerful love.
And to our family and friends, thank you for joining us and for your encouragement. We are so delighted and grateful so many people have come from so many varying places. You are all important to us. This is how we wanted to start our lives together, by sharing our love being united in front of you all.
Now, let us eat, drink and be merry!


A Special Note from the Groom
Growing up, I would always come home and tell Mom something funny that happened that day. She would look at me and say, "What you should have said was..." She would always have a funny response to the story or to what someone had said. I attribute  my sense of humor today to her.


A Special Note from the Bride
When I was little, I always wanted to be like my dad. I thought he knew everything and could do anything. Then I arrived at adolescence. My opinion changed drastically. I had no idea where my dad got his ideas nor did I understand anything he did. As I grew older, I realized it was true that he didn't know everything, but did know volumes more than anyone else I knew. And true he couldn't do everything, but that never stopped him from trying with all his might to do anything. Today, I find I still want to be like my dad when I grow up. He was the best father, confidant, friend, nurse, educator, role model, and person I've ever known.


Though they are not with us today the way we would have chosen to have them here, we know they are with us in spirit. To keep them an ever present part of our ceremony and honor them, we have set their photos and an arrangement of flowers near the altar. WE love and miss you every day Mom and Dad.


It was important to us to have that piece in the program. At the reception, we had a video montage of photos. The first part was of Kevin's mom, Carol. The song for her photos was "Suspicious Minds" by Elvis. It's a song she and Kevin loved. The second part was of my dad, Dale. His song was "Daddy's Girl" by Red Sovine. These are the songs we would have danced to with our respective parent. God had other plans and so we adapted. The video was great. Scott, our videographer, did a wonderful job of putting them together. I thought it was going to be so hard to watch the video. I thought my heart would be ripped out of my chest reminding me of our losses. We were both nervous. Our wedding day, the most amazing day of our lives so far, we were worried would also be the saddest. But it wasn't. The music played while the photos were projected. And we smiled. We remembered the moment when each of the photos were taken. The fun we were having. We laughed at the looks on their faces in the photos. Kevin's mom always holding a knife to cut a birthday cake. My dad, his eyes mostly closed in so many photos with his jubilant smile. And I listened to the whole ballroom. People were laughing. There were tears of course, but most importantly there was laughter. Kevin's mom on roller blades in the kitchen. My dad with  a golf club. Those who knew them would never have thought those things possible. Many people had advised me to take little moments throughout the day to take it all in and live in the moment because it goes so fast. I did several times throughout the day. It's hard to explain, but each time I did take that moment. I felt him, my dad. It was as if I could turn my head to the left, just over my shoulder and see his face from my peripheral vision. I could feel his presence. He did come to the wedding. We was laughing and crying with us. He was the proud dad. I could feel the bittersweetness of the day. Giving his only daughter away. But watching as I had become the young woman he was so proud to have.

I can't speak for Kevin in the matter. He is of few words when it comes to many things. Though, I'm learning to hear what he's not saying. I'm learning to understand what his body language and facial expressions are telling me. I think he had a similar experience with his mom. I don't think even death could have kept her from his wedding day.

Today is Thanksgiving. I am thankful for so many things. In this time, so many things are uncertain. There are so many without basic needs. We are so blessed. I am thankful for the roof over our heads, the food in our bellies, the warmth of our home, the job that brings a paycheck, the husband I love and cherish, and our family. Without them, we would not be the people we are today. If we weren't the people we are today, I might not have found my true love.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment