How long has it been?

Monday, November 15, 2010

Say That Again!

May 27th... somewhere around the hour of five o'clock in the afternoon. Or is that evening. Either way, it was around five o'clock. Kevin was running errands and I was supposed to be packing. But I had worked all night the night before and was dead tired. I had decided to rest my eyes and snuggle up with a pillow for just a moment. No one would be any the wiser. I'd get up and finish packing for our trip to Memphis before Kevin could return home.

I heard Kevin's voice and felt him gently rubbing my side in an effort to wake me up. I was so tired, though, I couldn't open my eyes. I did manage to roll on my back. He was talking to me. I don't know what he was saying because I think I was still dreaming a little. Then I heard, "Can I ask you a question?"
"Uh-oh," I thought, "I'm totally in trouble. What did I forget to do?" So I agreed to the questioning.

"Will you marry me?"

Silence. My heart had stopped. My head had begun to spin.  "Say that again!" I hadn't believed what I heard. There was a strong possibility I had still been asleep.

"Why do I have to repeat myself?! Will you marry me?"

I bolted upright, eyes suddenly very wide. He was holding a gorgeous ring that looked far more different than any rings I had seen in the shops. Through choked up tears I said, "Yes!"
He tried to slide the beautiful ring on my short pudgy finger. It stuck. So, naturally, I forced it on. I just barely fit. I loved it instantly.

I asked him how he had known my size. He said he didn't. It wasn't in his control. He didn't pick the ring. I was confused. I didn't understand. He explained that the ring was my grandmother's. She had left her wedding band and engagement ring to me when she passed. Initially, the rings were divided between my two aunts. When the time came for me to marry, the rings were to go to me. My father had explained all this to him the previous Christmas. I was so touched I began crying. Of course! I'm a girl. I couldn't help it.

And that, boys and girls, is how he proposed.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful story of the rings. This will make everything that more special. I think you have found a wonderful man. We enjoyed Kevin when he visited at Harper.

    This is a great site you have built --- I feel I have now caught up on all that has happened to you since you left Harper. I am so glad you are so happy. Love, Jaci

    ReplyDelete